From the last five years, there has been a mushrooming of health insurance schemes in India. While the governmental and non- governmental sectors have been highly active, the total number of insurance companies has multiplied to a large extent. Concurrently, the rising health care costs, has influenced families to recognise the importance of insurance and the need to insure themselves against medical expenses.
Inspite of innovations in the newly emerging insurance schemes, they are poorly designed and badly administered. Such schemes do not benefit the community and the money is wasted. They also make the community cynical about health insurance and resistant to re introducing it. The prime reason for this is the poor understanding of health insurance both among the planners and implementers of the schemes.
This training programme aims to build the capacity of middle and senior level government officials who are actively involved in the design and implementation of schemes for their target community. The greater goal is to make healthcare more accessible, affordable and equitable for the people, especially the poor.
- Middle and Senior level government officials responsible for design and implementation of health insurance schemes.
- Staff from NGOs/CBOs involved in planning health insurance schemes.
At the end of the course the participants should be able to
- Define health insurance and describe the concepts of health insurance
- List the elements of a health insurance scheme and differentiate the types of health insurance
- List the advantages and disadvantages of health insurance
- List the sources of financing health care in India
- Evaluate the health insurance schemes in India
- Design a health insurance scheme
Training sessions so far
In the past 6 years, the institute has conducted four training sessions.
View Larger Map
- (A)-The first one in Coimbatore covering the southern states ,
- (B)-The second one in Chhattisgarh covering the northern part of the country,
- (c)-The third and fourth both in Bangalore, covering the eastern states and the remaining ones.